We maakten hiervoor gebruik van de actiegerichte vragen om de kloof tussen mensen en mogelijkheden kleiner te maken. In dit artikel gaan we op zoek naar de redenen waarom veel medewerkers niet geëngageerd zijn. Wanneer we hier een antwoord op vinden kunnen we het engagement van medewerkers versterken en de organisatiedoelstellingen sneller en eenvoudiger behalen. Maar welke vragen moeten organisaties stellen?
Waardoor raak jij gedisengageerd?
Haudan haalt 6 redenen aan waarom iemand niet geëngageerd zou zijn. Deze komen grotendeels overeen met Amerikaans onderzoek naar de meest voorkomende redenen van verloop. Voor elke mogelijke reden, worden er een aantal actiegerichte vragen opgesomd, die jij als HR professional kunt stellen aan jouw medewerkers.
I can’t be engaged if I am overwhelmed
- What have you, your organization, or you team stopped doing in the last 2 months to create capacity so your employees can focus on new strategies, actions and behaviors?
- What would your whack-a-mole sketch look like? What are all the initiatives or requests that you could label to personalize the sketch? Which of these are really remnants of past strategies that get in the way?
- Are you designing your strategic communications for the engineers or the users? Businesses test new products and services with focus groups. What could you do to test the design of your strategic communications to be sure that they make sense to the users?
- How overwhelmed do you think your people are? How much is this feeling affection their level of engagement? What could you do to better integrate, simplify or clarify?
I can’t be engaged if I don’t get it
- How effectively are you using relevance when you try tit engage your people? (In other words, if you were a comedian, would they laugh of would you bomb?)
- If Josh, were sitting in your strategy room, would he get it? What could you do to ensure that your strategic pablum is fit for employee consumption?
- When did you last ask your people what they’re most curious about in your business? What do you think your people are curious about? How could you find out?
- What are you curious about in your business, and how are you pursuing that curiousity?
- In a Classics Illustrated or Disney-like manner, how could you translate the exciting stories of your business?
I can’t be engaged if I am scared
- How safe do your people feel about saying in public what they really believe?
- How would you assess the gap between the engagement and creativity of your people on weekends versus during the week?
- Are your people afraid of not being adequate or valuable for the future? How strong is that fear?
- In most of the energyof your people vested in protective actions and growing mustaches or in taking the risks ncessary to elevate performance?
- How well are you doing at giving permission to not be afraid and creating an informal environment?
I can’t be engaged if I don’t see the big picture
- Think of your business as a puzzle. What is the puzzle box top that you could send to your people to help them understand the big picture of your business?
- What are the links and connections you need to help people make so they can fully understand how pieces fit together?
- What are the major systems that your people need to understand and connect with?
- How well defined are these systems?
- What amount of your time is spent exploring how to do better job instead of how improve the business?
- Identify the top 3 paradoxes in play within in your organization. In the eyes of your people are these paradoxes in conflict or in concert?
I can’t be engaged if it’s not mine
- What would your people say that you are using PowerPoints effectively to tell a story, or that it’s a one-way presentation that’s as lethal as asbestos when it comes to engaging them?
- On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate yourself at involving your people in thinking through the most critical questions of your business? What can you do to change?
- Would you be a tell-me, show-me, or involve-me practioner?
- Consider the statement “People will tolerate the conclusions of their leaders but act on their own”. How could you test the validity if this statement with your employees to determine if it’s true?
- How are you creating the environment for your people to experience for themselves the aha moments that are vital for their engagement?
I can’t be engaged if my leaders don’t face reality
- From various sources, we know that most strategies are not executed and the majority of people in companies are not engaged. What are your engagement statistics? Do you know what they are? How could you find out? What does your canyon look like?
- Consider the answer to question 1. How could you estimate the amount of money that lack of engagement is costing your company? How much are leaving on the table by not tackling your canyon issues that are holding back engagement and execution?
- What could you do to build the understanding that the canyon is a natural state driven by marketplace changes rather than creating the impression that someone has screwed up and we are dysfunctional?
- How well do you think your organization or team recognizes that the canyon is natural state? How could this recognition accelerate your organization’s actions to bridge the canyon?
(h)Erken jij één of meerdere redenen binnen jouw organisatie? Welke vragen stel jij dan als HR professionals regelmatig? En hoe lossen jullie dergelijke problemen op? Laat je reactie na in de comments. Ook aanvullende actiegerichte vragen zijn welkom!
[box type=”info” style=”rounded”]Deze blog heeft het engagement van personeel als thema. Klik op de hyperlink voor de beste blogartikelen over het engagement?[/box]